How can we improve Bing Ads to create a better experience?

Allow targeting by county

It is sort of strange you can't target counties. I know you can do a radius around a county but that is often not helpful. Simple country targeting is available in every other major ad platform like Adwords and Facebook. Please add simple county targeting without the need for a radius.

255 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AndyAndy shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

28 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Sabeshan IyerSabeshan Iyer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello,

We're pleased to inform you that we've initiated a beta program for US County Targeting. We're accepting hand-raisers at this time, especially API customers. Please let us know at bingads-pilots@microsoft.com if you wish to participate in the beta.

We look forward to your participation and valuable feedback!

Sincerely,
        Sabeshan Iyer
        Bing Ads team

• KayKay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We target by county. We want to isolate the areas so we can see trends in different areas of the country. If it doesn't marry up to the same target areas in Google, then we can't collate the data. 95% of our Adwords spend is on Google, so we're not going to try to make Google fit with Bing. Bing has to fit in with Google (plus the Google targeting is more precise than Bing).
        Why add a feature that gives "grey area" results rather than something that is black and white. Online advertising is all about facts and figures, but for this we can say, "well, we sort of targeted London". I can see that going down well in my monthly report.

• DaveDave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any updates on this? We work in the legal industry and lawyers all serve clients by county. Please add this. There are SO many regions where we don't run ads in Bing because it's too cumbersome to use zip codes and individual cities - and radius targeting is not accurate enough. We also don't import many campaigns over to Bing because the county level targeting we use in Google is not supported in Bing and it causes all kinds of targeting errors. Please fix asap!!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How is this not fixed yet? Add county level targeting like Google Adwords and Facebook!

• David TDavid T commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need to be able to exclude counties. Insurance leads are expensive to generate and excluding counties is essential when eliminating clicks from undesirable areas.

Originally, Bingads was more affordable than Google, however over time this is becoming untrue due to my being unable to eliminate waste in a national campaign. You guys are leaving me with the choice of going through my national campaigns town by town or simply pulling out of states where I see wasted clicks in areas that are too much work to exclude.

• John RowaJohn Rowa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@dareo and the Bing Ads team. This seems like critical functionality that should have already been integrated.

Importing in campaigns from AdWords is one of Bing Ads' biggest positives, but importing in accounts with a high-quantity of campaigns each targeting different regions becomes extremely labor-intensive on Bing. Instead of simply targeting a county, you're forced to target individual zip codes because in many areas, there are too many unincorporated portions of a county that you cannot target on city-level.

I hope my feedback helps. Thanks in advance for addressing this as soon as possible.

• Andy AdvertiseAndy Advertise commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One example of a business that is bound by counties is solar power system installers. I'm sure there are other industries regulated and licensed by county.

• Andy AdvertiseAndy Advertise commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OP here: Happy to see activity on this thread by why is it taking SO long Bing?

I personally am in scenario 2 where I am spending way too much time dealing with cities and zip codes.

At one point in the past using radius targeting I found my campaigns would barely deliver and a Bing rep told me that radius targeting often doesn't work because the system is essentially guessing which cities and towns to target within the radius. Essentially the radius bubble was a vanity way to cover cities within it, but you are not, in fact, targeting the true coordinates of the radius. So this method is shoddy at best in my opinion.

• DiegoDiego commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We target by cities within the county and use radii when a city isn't an option within Bing geo targeting.

• CKCK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are not advertising as much on BingAds due to the inability to target by county. Not sure why I can do this elsewhere but not on BingAds.

• ShannonShannon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I knew someone who was trying to target a county in New York, but it was also the name of a city and the city was in a completely different part of the state and ended up targeting somewhere that they didn't want.

Also, I know where I live one county probably has at least 24 different cities and at least 45 zip codes.

Having the option to target by country would allow areas not to overlap and target the entire area easier.

• Daniel AkboshDaniel Akbosh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are an Agency and our clients only provide service to certain counties. At this time we are forced to target at the state level. As a results we aren't advertising every client on BingAds. Only the ones with higher profit margins as they can handle some unwanted traffic. If counties were included we would push bingads to more clients.

• John HornJohn Horn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Clients often choose to target specific counties, and that's how they communicate to us what they want to target. Being able to target counties would be extremely helpful to us.

• TimTim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Answer to dareo would be that I'm either uploading specific zip codes or selecting specific cities/radiuses to account for the lack of county targeting. We work with some clients who are only certified to promote their services within specific counties, so it's very important that only residents of those counties see ads.

• SarahSarah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Local advertisers, especially not-for-profits are being severely challenged without county level targeting. Radii are great, but for those sectors that have service areas they must focus on and counties they cannot target based on affiliates and other not-for-profit local business in the area, this is a huge disadvantage. Local business and not-for-profits are also limited by budget as they depend on donors and grants, so to not be able to isolate their location effectively is forcing us to focus our dollars on platforms that do allow for county level targeting. We know their is value for their marketing dollars on Bing, but you're making it harder to spend it!

• DavidDavid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We currently do not bring many of our campaigns over from Google because it is too likely that there will be an error from not supporting county targeting. This results in Bing targeting "all countries" and running our ads all over the world and wasting a ton of money. Not worth the hassle. Please fix so we can spend more money on your platform.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would also like this. It is very inconvenient and it is so simple of a change.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base