How can we improve Bing Ads to create a better experience?

Call Extension Conversions

Currently in Google, you are able to stipulate that a phone call after 5 minutes is a conversion – but currently there is a way to do this on our platform. Ideally, my clients are hoping to be able to track conversions from the Call Extensions, rather than just having a call count.

52 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Caitlyn Colombi shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Gathering Feedback  ·  Admindareo (Admin, Bing Ads) responded  · 

We’ve begun to investigate providing this feature and would like to hear more from those interested. Are you using call extensions already? If so, what percentage of your calls are over 5 minutes today based on the reports? If you aren’t using call extensions, is lack of this capability a blocker?

How are you using this feature on other platforms and how does it help with your search engine marketing optimizations?

15 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Dareo,

My clients very much call dependent. 70% of their leads are calls. I understand the search volume on mobile devices for Bing but the visibility of tracking these calls as leads is missing at the moment which is impacting our strategies.

And, on Google, we treat calls as leads if the duration is more than 60 seconds and I assume i don't have to go granular.

Hope this helps to bring this conversion type live.

Cheers

I think 5 minutes is an example. The ability to set any call length to count as a conversion is the goal here. For some a 2 minute call may suffice, others may need longer than 5 minutes.

• Cody See commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey @Dareo,

I just want to clarify that an arbitrary five minutes wouldn't be ideal (at least for our agency). Like Google Ads, the ability to specify the call duration is important. Different clients qualify leads at different call lengths. So the option to count call extensions as conversions as well as determine those settings, like call duration, the attribution model, and all of the other settings that Google Ads provides, is what we would like to see.

To answer your questions specifically,

Q: Are you using call extensions already?
        A: Yes.

Q: If so, what percentage of your calls are over 5 minutes today based on the reports?
        A: I just checked the data from the last 30 days for three different accounts.

Account 1: Out of 38 calls, 0 were over five minutes.
        Account 2: Out of 62 calls, 1 was over five minutes.
        Account 3: Out of 34 calls, 0 were over five minutes.

Q: How are you using this feature on other platforms and how does it help with your search engine marketing optimizations?
        A: We factor it into target CPA -- determine and agree upon an ideal cost per lead and optimize for that goal.

So far <1% of calls generated from Bing Ads in our clients' accounts are over 5 minutes. While >90% of calls from Google Ads call extensions are legit conversions, Bing Ads calls have somehow brought in a lot of spams to our clients.

I think call extension conversions would be a very important piece to add to Bing Ads - since we can still filter results by length of calls. However, I'd highly recommend Bing to put more efforts into preventing spams and bot calls.

• Qual commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We even tried to post the conversions back using the click ID but on direct calls, the user isn't going to the landing page so that click ID will never be tracked. Wondering when you will be adding something for this?

Basically you have the call duration info in the Call Forwarding Details. All you would need to do is add another Conversion tracking type for "Call Duration Conversions" which we could specify a xx sec call = a conversion. That conversion then would be added to the conversion column and figure into the CPA so the Target CPA would then be figured correctly. Without this, the reports will always show 0 conversions on calls that actually converted. This then would eventually kill all traffic when using Targeted CPA b/c it would look to your system as if no conversions have occurred.

Hi Team,

I would love to see functionality that is similar to Google's call forwarding number conversion tracking. The code identifies a number on the landing page and swaps it out with a google forwarding number, sending the information back to google as a conversion when the forwarding number is dialed.

Thanks!

Brent

• Moshiko commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

as result even the conversion rate is not showing the real number. making a phone call trough extension or any other way trough bing ads MUST be count as conversion. user take action and we are not able to see the right calculation (not in cpa and not it conversion rate or any other clumbs affected by that)

• Moshiko commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

add call extension (manual calls and click calls) into conversion tracking to get all actions number under conversion column - then getting the true CPA. Right now need to calculate it manually (conversion number + manual calls and click calls, then divided total spend with the number we got) it is not supposed to be this way.
        its working very well on google and very important feature to let advertiser know that TRUE CPA

• Chet commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My clients would very much appreciate being able to count phone calls that reach a specified duration as conversions in their reports. Bing Ads is a great advertising platform, and this feature would make it even better!

• Carly Boddy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to add that it would be nice for just any call to be able to count in the conversion column. Most of my clients optimize to phone calls, and, because we cannot pull those into the conversion column, or into many reports - we are not able to see conversions for these clients at a geo, syndicated partner, or device level. It makes optimizing very limited as we are basing things only on clicks, unless our advertisers have choose to share their internal data with us.

• Nick Colombo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add a way to make manual phone calls that occur to count as conversions. I have a client in which 70%+ of their leads come in as phone calls which are currently not tracked in bing.

Also, please add a feature in addition that would only count calls of a certain length (such as manual phone calls that are at least 60 seconds in length).

Thanks!

• Eddie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

is tracked conversions from call extensions on the road map? if so, when is the expected ETA?

• Bryan Roberts commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Optimize Call Extensions, by the Call Duration Length. found inside Dimensions, for Bing Toll-Free Tracking Numbers.

The conversion optimizes for a longer phone call.

This would be the greatest feature ever for people generating phone calls, aside from more/better call extensions and more calls!

Google Adwords offers this - you should too. since you are recording the time people stay on the phone (when clicking on a CLICK TO CALL ad using the Bing Call extensions Bing #) - i should be able to set 1 minute as a conversion time - so then it shows as conversion - even though you do have the time data now, you should add this as a conversion in the conversion data (not only clicks)

Adwords has just launched the option to use a call duration as a conversion.

This is extremely beneficial for many business's, because a phone call is lead!

A lead is opportunity for a sale, and in many cases a call that over a specific duration is money earned.

This features needs to be implemented in to adcenters platform.

Feedback and Knowledge Base