How can we improve Bing Ads to create a better experience?

Provide a "Minimum eCPM" Setting for Filling Ad Requests

In various markets (e.g. China), pubCenter is filling ad-requests with ads that have near-zero ($0.002) eCPM - for example, in China. The fact that this happens is either (A) an enormous currency conversion mistake on your part, or (B) an unfortunate reality that your advertisers in China pay next to nothing to advertise. I am assuming that B is what's happening, but if it's not, please look into A.

In such situations where eCPM is ridiculously low, it would be far better for app developers to know that it is probably far better for them to use a different ad-provider that can pay them a reasonable eCPM. And it would be only fair for Microsoft to provide this information in response to an ad-request, since the information is known to Microsoft.

By allowing a developer to specify a minimum eCPM, via the DevCenter/pubCenter website, for which Microsoft should deliver an ad, developers will have better control of this situation. It will also serve as a reminder to advertisers that they must bid a fair rate when creating ad-campaigns.

So when an app requests an ad from pubCenter, pubCenter would check the eCPM for that ad against the "minimum eCPM" that the publisher (developer) has set. If the eCPM is at or above that minimum, then the ad is served. Otherwise, an error status "Failed Minimum eCPM Check" is returned to the app. The app can then check the error code and decide to show an ad from another ad-provider (e.g. AdDuplex, House Ads, or from another ad-network).

In my opinion, this is what all reputable ad-providers should do to (1) be fair to publishers and (2) encourage advertisers to bid appropriately.

996 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Dan ColasantiDan Colasanti shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

26 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Pay good and get good apps into the store.If you can't pay good revenue,then how developers are going to develop application in the store.Google payed the developers to their satisfaction and now they had all most all apps.

• Dan ColasantiDan Colasanti commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@MSAdvertising: Extremely Low @pubCenter eCPM is still a problem on Windows Phone for many developers! Since it hasn't been fixed in over 3 years, the least Microsoft can do is implement this feature into the pubCenter website. Please provide resolution status.

@Luke - That is exactly what it is no longer possible to do. There no longer is a "Market" checkbox.

@Susan Palmer - When is pubCenter going to address these issues? Seriously, it's been over 8 months. We've heard "we're working on it" and then multiple "we have nothing to share" statuses. Why can't pubCenter be more forthcoming with information instead of forcing developers to beg for it for months on end?

• LukeLuke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Re: "(...) pubCenter has stopped providing region data (...)"

Dan, I don't want to act as a devil's advocate ;), but you can get the regional data using "Create report" function. Simply choose "Type: Ad unit Performance", expand "Include this data in the report" and tick Market checkbox.

While it's nice that Fill Rate is now being provided, pubCenter has stopped providing region data - so it's no longer possible to get Impression data, eCPM, or Fill Rates for a particular country. This is important, because devs could choose to use a different ad provider for specific countries in which pubCenter doesn't provide sufficient monetization. It's really disappointing that after 3 years of failure and disappointment, pubCenter is still playing these pathetic games with developers.

• AidanAidan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, please increase the eCPM. Some of us rely on this for money.

This is badly needed. My wp app is getting 0.05 ecpm and its just ridiculous. The Win8 ecpm appears to be slightly better.

please please please fix this issue asap. Its totally demoralizing. I am already on the way to Android for my next mobile app project!

• Gaurav ChouhanGaurav Chouhan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

2013 is going to be my last year using pubCenter. As many alternatives are coming in place now like AdMob and vServ already geared up with their first iteration of Windows Phone 8 advertisement API, I will switch to those as soon as I can. Waited a lot but unfortunately there has been no progress yet! Sad.

Hi Susan - It's been almost 2 months since we heard the pubCenter team is developing a solution to provide a "Minimum eCPM Setting". Just wondering if there's an ETA for when it will be available - ? Similarly wondering when pubCenter will show Fill-Rate for WP developers. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
        Dan

• Pablo NoyaPablo Noya commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+10

.. or (C) the information being reported is not "accurate". At least that's my feeling and that's why i'm giving up too.

• Hermit DaveHermit Dave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Pubcenter / MS Advertising apparently is the only provider that does not have ePCM settings. This needs to change and needs to change sooner

I've given up on WP development due to the poor ad revenue, despite having plenty of impressions per day. This might help enough to bring me back.

I second this request. This would encourage competition between advertisers and ad networks which is a better outcome for everyone.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base